Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sept 3rd..!

-Sept 3rd 11:37pm
It was an awesome day and I will write more and add pictures later. Just so you know, the main part of the day was gallery visiting in the 798 Art District. Simply an amazing place! Somewhat like Pearl District but thriving much more.

-the rest...(coming soon)
I saw many great art pieces today. One of my favs was the traditional Chinese Dragon made of camouflage cloth that the artists actually took out and recorded themselves dancing with it. This made me think of the military might China has and will continue to be in the world. I enjoyed meeting all the professors and artist at their various galleries/studios. Seeing all these studios makes me wish that I had a similar setup for myself in the states. Many of the galleries followed a similar setup with gallery attached to a medium sized studio.

The art university that we visited was absolutely amazing. The facilities appeared to be top notch. I visited the digital arts area first finding many rooms in the basement with great comp setups and the area it was in had a somewhat future/scifi atmosphere with the use of glass and stainless steel. It was also probably the doors with round windows at about head level that made it feel scifi to me. Also saw welding and sculpture dept. areas, nice large spaces with plenty of room to work. Though I did not get to see a dorm. I wanted to, but I didn't really know who to ask and felt akward asking some random student. Though I did see the outside of the dormitories which appeared to be fairly nice. Each room had its own balcony and appeared to be fairly large (I wish I had a balcony freshmen year).

The last place we visited was a digital art studio. It was a converted storage building with a added wood 2nd floor. They had a great computer setup downstairs for the studio workers. I also found out that some of them did other forms of art such as pottery and calligraphy. They had a very large dog, one of the ones that has the long straight hair hanging down (like a large rectangle mop). Then there was a smaller dog, but can't remember what it looked like it was rather skiddish. We were also told that they had had a third dog, but someone had possibly stolen him. It was close to dinner time so the people from this studio took us to a rather nice restaurant for a 12 course meal. The meal might have been 14 or 16 courses, but we were all getting stuffed so we had to cancel what ever dishes hadn't come yet. We then said our good byes and it was off back to the hostel. Back to pass out on my bed from a large day and once again a huge dinner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

BONER JAMS

bring it to china

<3

tom