Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Finally Back!!

So we are finally back in the states. It was nice to return to home. I had been away for a long time and had started to get a little home sick towards the end, but I would have loved to stay longer. China is an amazing place. Shanghai probably left the biggest impact on me because of how similar yet different it was from our major cities. Yes, Shanghai has many large sky scrappers and malls, but it also has the bazillion tiny street vendor shops that dot each road. Everything from small hardware stores where they will wire the light bulb you buy in front of you to stores that have around 100 hanging cleaned duck carcasses for sale.

My English is returning to normal. I feel if I knew more Chinese this would not have been a problem, but since that is not the case I spoke a lot of broken English. Which is probably how my English got screwed up. It is interesting to think about the way I was able to communicate with shop owners and my partner. We sort of created our own language of limited Chinese and English with lots of hand gestures. I will miss my partner Pan Zhi Fei, but I have been keeping in contact with him over skype and facebook.

I hope someday to return to China and visit Pan Zhi Fei and all the other friends I made at SUAD. Hopefully with a little more Chinese under my belt. People have been asking me 'how was China' and the first words out of my mouth are always "Amazing!" I can't wait to get back!

No comments: